Whilst working together at The Three Shields Gallery, Muriel Rose and Peggy Turnbull had searched for nearly a year before they found the premises they were looking for in which to open their own gallery. A former laundry depot at 5 Ellis Street, off Sloane Square, proved to be just what they needed, giving them a large, ground floor room with plenty of daylight and a decent basement space below. (No. 1) For the minimum expense they stripped it out and painted it white, expanding into the neighbouring premises at 3 Ellis Street within a few years. (No. 2) A notice of the opening appeared in The Times of 9 October 1928 and recorded that the Gallery appeared to stock: 'the less expensive productions of handicraft and the more artistically considered wares of the factory, and a word is due to the consistently high quality maintained in this modest range. Everything is on the side of reticence, the designs being simple and the colours inclining to 'secondaries' and 'tertiaries' in subtle colour combinations'.