<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 

Core Record

Title Nicolas Gaze de Joursavaux, Knight of St Philip, Duke of Burgundy, with his patron, St Nicholas and Infant Son
Collection Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
Artist Attributed to Flemish School
Previously attributed to Master of 1518 (early Netherlandish painter, 16th c.)
Previously attributed to Provost, Jan, the younger (early Netherlandish painter, ca.1465-1529)
Date Earliest about 1500
Date Latest about 1525
Description This is the surviving left half of a diptych. The right panel would have contained a representation of the Virgin and Child. Nicholas Gaze was a supply officer to the armies of Philip of Burgundy. Appropriately, St Nicholas, the patron saint of bakers, holds a baker's peel with three rolls instead of his usual emblem of three golden balls, symbolic of the dowry he gave to the three daughters of a poor man to stop them being sold into prostitution. Nicolas Gaze's son holds a crucifix and is shown on a smaller scale indicating that he had died in childhood. In the background is a delicately painted landscape with geese flying across an evening sky. Small figures follow a path uphill to a shrine with a cross. Nicolas Gaze wears an unusual device on his surcoat, threading a ragged cross of St Andrew through a flint of the Order of the Golden Fleece under a ducal crown of Burgundy.
Current Accession Number 1933P26
Former Accession Number P.2633
Subject portrait (Gaze, Nicolas); religion (St Nicholas of Bari)
Measurements 48.3 x 38.1 cm cm (estimate)
Material oil on panel
Acquisition Details Given by the Trustees of the Public Picture Gallery Fund 1933.
Provenance Messrs Spink, 1933.
Principal Exhibitions Pictures from Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Agnew's, London, 1957, cat. no. 23.
Publications Vincent, E. W., Notable Pictures, p. 39; Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery Catalogue, 1930; Foreign Paintings in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, A Summary Catalogue, 1983, no. 62, ill.
Notes The initial attribution to Jan Prevost, pupil of Gerard David, made by Mr Van de Put of the Royal College of Art, has been questioned. A letter written at the time of accession states that the other half of the triptych is in the Fogg Museum at Cambridge, Mass., and is attributed by that museum to Gerard David, the greatest master of the Bruges School at the end of the fifteenth century.

Attribution to the Flemish artist, Geeraert Horebout of Ghent (based on similarities to two panels in Ghent Museum, one showing a man kneeling at a prie-dieu accompanied by his three sons and an angel, and the other his wife in a similar attitude of prayer with two children and an angel, has been offered by Mr Kaines Smith. Horebout was working for Margaret of Austria between 1516 and 1521. He came to England in 1525 when he was appointed painter to Henry VIII and died in London in 1540. Attribution to the 'Master of the Legend of the Magdalene' (based on two wings of a triptych depicting Simon du Quesnoy in the Brussels Museum) has also been suggested. The 'Master of the Legend of the Magdalene' has been identified by M. Hulin de Loo with one of the sons of Vrancke van der Stockt, most probably Bernard, born about 1460, died 1538.

Rights Owner Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
Author Dr Patricia Smyth
 

 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        Cookies        © 2013