|Title||Santa Maria della Salute and the Dogana, Venice|
|Collection||Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery|
|Artist||Guardi, Francesco (Italian painter, 1712-1793)|
|Date Earliest||about 1760|
|Date Latest||about 1790|
|Description||This Venetian view was frequently painted by Guardi. To the right of S.M. Della Salute can be seen the Church and Monastery of S. Gregorio. The building between S.M. della Salute and the Dogana is the Seminario Patriarcale.
From about the middle of the century, Guardi began to specialise in topographical views in the manner of Canaletto although he was less popular during his lifetime than Canaletto. Where Canaletto depicted buildings with detail and clarity, Guardi preferred to create a softer, enveloping atmosphere with a more limited range of colour.
|Current Accession Number||1947P74|
|Former Accession Number||P.74´47|
|Subject||townscape (Venice);place (Sta Maria della Salute, Dogana)|
|Measurements||32.5 x 52 cm.0 cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on canvas|
|Acquisition Details||Given by Frederick John Nettlefold 1947.|
|Provenance||Manfrini (?); Princess Royal sale, Christie's, 26 June 1925, lot 116 as from the Manfrini Gallery, bought by Leggatt; Nettlefold Collection.|
|Principal Exhibitions||Eighteenth Century Venice, Whitechapel Art Gallery, 1951; Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery, cat. no. 36; Pictures from Birmingham, Agnew's, 1957, cat. no. 27; Horace Buttery Memorial Exhibition, P. & D. Colnaghi Co. Ltd , 1963; Agnew's, 1963, cat. no. 23; Old Masters from Birmingham, Wildenstein and Company, 1970, cat. no. 24.|
|Publications||Grundy, C. R. and F. G. Roe, Catalogue of the Nettlefold Collection, 1938, pl. IV, p.239; Catalogue of Paintings in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, 1960, p. 65; Morassi, A., Antonio and Francesco Guardi, 1973, p. 244, no. 482; Foreign Paintings in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, A Summary Catalogue, 1983, no. 76, ill.|
|Notes||In 1970, the painting was reduced to its original size by the removal of nineteenth (?) century additions to all four edges (old size 13.5 x 21.24 in.).
Other versions are in the Wallace Collection, no. 518; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, no. 51'448; ex Earl Cowley, K.G. The Vicountess Bertie of Thame, sold 15 July 1955 by Executors of Sir Edward Cripps.
|Rights Owner||Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery|
|Author||Dr Patricia Smyth|