|Collection||Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery|
|Artist|| After Dürer, Albrecht (German printmaker and painter, 1471-1528)
Attributed to Bles, Herri met de (Flemish painter, born ca. 1510, died after 1550)
|Date Earliest||about 1535|
|Date Latest||about 1550|
|Description||This painting is a copy of Dürer's Little Nativity. Bles has been identified with Herry de Patinir, who was a master of the Antwerp Guild of St Luke in 1535. He often 'signed' his works with an owl as can be seen in this painting although this is not an entirely reliable method of attribution. For this reason, he was known as Civetta in Italy where his works were very popular.|
|Current Accession Number||1960P61|
|Former Accession Number||P.61´60|
|Measurements||66.0 x 52.1 cm cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on canvas|
|Acquisition Details||Bequeathed by Sir Charles Leonard Woolley 1960.|
|Provenance||L. A. Waters; Caines Waters sale, Salisbury, 12 June 1953, bought by Woolley|
|Principal Exhibitions||Flemish Art, Royal Academy, London, 1953-4, cat. no. 107.|
|Publications||Grossmann, F., Burlington Magazine, vol. 96, 1954, p. 48, fig. 17; Foreign Paintings in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, A Summary Catalogue, 1983, no. 9, ill.|
|Notes||Sir Charles Leonard Woolley, Kingsworthy Court, Winchester, Hants.
Signed with an owl. Durer's engraving is dated 1504.
On back, on frame, label 1, 'L. A. Waters/ No. 1/1908'. Label 2, '237 The Nativity, Durer'.
|Rights Owner||Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery|
|Author||Dr Patricia Smyth|