<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 

Core Record

Title View of Venice: The Church of Il Redentore
Collection Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
Artist Attributed to Italian School
Date Earliest about 1700
Date Latest about 1800
Description The Church of Il Redentore was commissioned by the architect Palladio by the Senate and dedicated to the Saviour in order to ask for deliverance of the city of Venice from the plague outbreak of 1575-6. It was built between 1578 and 1591 on the island of Guidecca. Palladio rejected the decorative surfaces of traditional Venetian architecture in favour of this sparkling white fašade which presents a dramatic aspect as seen from the Piazetta di San Marco.
Current Accession Number 1981P6
Former Accession Number P.6┤81
Subject townscape; place (Venice, Church of Il Redentore);religion (church)
Measurements 53.3 x 68.6 cm cm (estimate)
Material oil on canvas
Acquisition Details Given by Rev. James Compton Bracebridge 1981.
Publications Foreign Paintings in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, A Summary Catalogue, 1983, no. 84, ill.
Rights Owner Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
Author Dr Patricia Smyth
 

 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        Cookies        © 2013