|Collection||Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery|
|Artist||Loutherbourg, Philip James de (French painter and scenographer, 1740-1812, active in Great Britain)|
|Description||This painting and its pair, Christ at Emmaus were commissioned as part of a London based publishing venture by Thomas Macklin, begun around 1790 and completed in 1800. Macklin employed twenty different artists and fifteen different engravers to translate their work into engraving for his six volume Holy Bible. De Loutherbourg's dramatic compositions illustrate the beginnings of the Romantic movement in Britain.|
|Current Accession Number||1982P45|
|Former Accession Number||P.45´82|
|Inscription||front lr 'P.J. de Loutherbourg R.A. 1798'|
|Measurements||122.8 x 99.5 cm cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on canvas|
|Acquisition Details||Purchased with the aid of the National Art-Collections Fund and the V & A Purchase Grant Fund 1982.|
|Provenance||Macklin sale, Peter Coxe Burrell and Foster, 1800, lot 70 [?]; Joseph Houlton, Farleigh [?]; Parochial Church Council of Farleigh Hungerford; Diocese of Bath and Wells sale, Christie's, 1982.|
|Publications||Jackson, J. E., A Guide to Farleigh Hungerford, Taunton, 1860; Boase, T. S. R., 'Macklin and Bowyer', Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, vol. 26, 1963, p. 177.|
|Notes||Engraved by James Fittler, 1800, also published in Macklin's Bible. Dealer's stencil on lower bar 'CK90'. Letter in file from Ellis Waterhouse: 'Joseph Houlton sounds like a very probable purchaser.' The Houltons built their neo-Gothic Farleigh house nearby in the first decade of the 1800s. Joseph Houlton Esq, Furleigh was a subscriber to Macklin's Bible.
Parochial Church Council of Farleigh Hungerford, Diocesan Registry, 14 Market Place, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2RE.
|Rights Owner||Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery|
|Author||Dr Patricia Smyth|