|Title||Virgin and Child|
|Alternative Title||A Family Portrait|
|Collection||Cannon Hall Museum, Park and Gardens, Barnsley|
|Artist|| Manner of Dyck, Anthony van (Flemish painter, 1599-1641, active in England)
Previously attributed to Dyck, Anthony van (Flemish painter, 1599-1641, active in England)
|Date Earliest||probably 1700|
|Date Latest||probably 1800|
|Description||Although this painting was previously attributed to Sir Anthony van Dyck, the work is no longer believed to be by the artist but by an unknown 18th century painter. It is similar in style to works by van Dyck on the theme of the ‘Virgin and Child'. In particular, it may be based on works at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge and Dulwich College Picture Gallery, Dulwich.|
|Current Accession Number||A1919|
|Subject||portrait (Virgin, child); figure; religion|
|Measurements||87.6 x 66.1 cm cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on panel|
|Acquisition Details||Given by the National Art-Collections Fund 2002.|
|Provenance||Sir John St. Aubyn, Bart., Winstanley, Lime Grove, Putney, sale, 2 August 1856, lot 1172, £10.10s.0d, as A Family Portrait; in the collection of William Harvey of Barnsley about 1856 (?); by descent to Henry Harvey, J. P. (1867-1879); by descent to William Harvey of Leeds (1879-1917); given by William Harvey to National Loan Collection Trust, 19 June 1917; transferred to National Art-Collections Fund, 20 May 2002.|
|Principal Exhibitions||National Exhibition of Works of Art, Leeds Infirmary, 1868, cat. no. 638; The Loan Collection of Works by 'Old Masters', and by deceased artists of the English and Foreign Schools, Municipal Art Gallery, Leeds, 1889-90, cat. no. 452, as Virgin & Child by Van Dyck, .|
|Publications||Catalogue of Pictures in the National Loan Collection Trust, London, 1919, 1920, 1928, 1930, 1937, cat. no. 14, ill. pp. 34-35; Catalogue of Pictures in the National Loan Collection Trust, London, 1954, cat. no. 14, p. 14 & ii, p. 7; The William Harvey Collection of Dutch and Flemish Paintings, Cannon Hall Museum, 1975, cat. no. 14, as 'in the Manner of Van Dyck'; Wright, C., Old Master Paintings in Britain, London, 1976, p. 57, as 'manner of Van Dyck'; Larsen, E., The Paintings of Anthony van Dyck, Germany, 1988, vol. 2, cat. no. 440, ill. pp. 178-79|
This painting was not included in the catalogues raisonnés on Van Dyck by Emil Schaeffer, 1909, Gustav Glück, 1931 or Sir Oliver Millar, 2003. However it was included by Erik Larsen in his 1988 catalogue raisonné on Van Dyck, as an original painting.
Letters on file at the NACF show that paint samples taken at the National Gallery, London in the 1960s confirmed that the paint was from the 18th and not the seventeenth-century. David Jaffé, the Senior Curator of Flemish Paintings, at the National Gallery saw X-rays on file in the Photographic Department at the National Gallery. He believes that the painting is not original and is from the 'School of Van Dyck' but may be seventeenth-century. The X-ray shows there were alterations to the neckline of the dress worn by the Virgin.
This painting is part of a collection formed by William Harvey of Barnsley (1811-1867). Harvey was a Quaker, whose family made its money in the linen industry. Most of the paintings were acquired between 1849 and 1866 through the dealer Thomas R. Rutley and his son Colonel J. L. Rutley. The company later traded as Messrs Rutley. The collection consists mainly of Dutch and Flemish seventeenth-century paintings. On his death, the collection passed to Harvey's brother, Henry Harvey, J.P. (1814-1879). Nothing was added to the collection during this period and it was passed by descent to a nephew, William Harvey of Leeds. William Harvey of Leeds donated his collection to the National Loan Collection Trust in 1917. The purpose of the Trust was to lend pictures to regional galleries in England and the British Colonies. It was finally agreed to lend the collection on long term loan to Cannon Hall in Barnsley and in 2002 the collection was transferred to them on a permanent basis.
|Rights Owner||Cannon Hall Museum (Barnsley Metropolitan Council)|
|Author||Dr Madeleine Korn|