|Title||Landscape with Figures and Haymakers|
|Alternative Title||Landscape and Figures|
|Original Translation||Collines Sablonneuses|
|Collection||Cannon Hall Museum, Park and Gardens, Barnsley|
|Artist|| Attributed to Vadder, Lodewijk de (Flemish painter, engraver, and tapestry designer, 1605-1655)
Previously attributed to Teniers, David, II (Flemish painter, 1610-1690)
|Date Earliest||probably about 1650|
|Description||Although this painting was said to be by the work of David Teniers, this is now known not to be the case, nor is it a copy or a work in the style of Teniers, but an unusual work by a so far unidentified Flemish artist. It is closest in style to the work of the Flemish artist Lodewijk de Vadder (1605-1655) and the handling of the sand dunes is close in style to that in a work by de Vadder in the Museum Bredius in Holland.|
|Current Accession Number||A1951|
|Inscription||front lc 'DTE'|
|Subject||animal (dog); figure; landscape; everyday life|
|Measurements||69.8 x 101.6 cm cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on canvas|
|Acquisition Details||Given by the National Art-Collections Fund 2002.|
|Provenance||John Christopher Cankrie sale, Christie & Manson, 4 June 1853, as by Artois and Teniers; bought from Thomas R. Rutley by William Harvey of Barnsley, 2 September 1853, as Landscape, £120; by descent to Henry Harvey, JP (1867-1879); by descent to William Harvey of Leeds (1879-1917); given by William Harvey to National Loan Collection Trust, 19 June 1917; transferred to National Art-Collections Fund, 20 May 2002.|
|Principal Exhibitions||National Exhibition of Works of Art, Leeds, 1868, cat. no. 641, as by Teniers; The Loan Collection of Works by 'Old Masters', and by deceased artists of the English and Foreign Schools, Municipal Art Gallery, Leeds, 1889-90, cat. no. 476; Exhibition of Works by Flemish and Modern Belgian Painters, Guildhall, London, 1906, cat. no. 107, as Landscape and Figures; Exposition de l'Art Belge au XVIIe Siècle, Brussels, June - November 1910, cat. no. 484, as Collines Sablonneuses.|
|Publications||Catalogue of Pictures in the National Loan Collection Trust, London, 1919, 1920, 1928, 1930, 1937, cat. no. 45, ill. pp. 96-97; Catalogue of Pictures in the National Loan Collection Trust, London, 1954, cat. no. 45, p. 45, ill. p. 5; Exposition de l'Art Belge au XVIIe Siècle, Brussels, 1910, cat. no. 484, p. 115, as Collines Sablonneuses.|
The original invoice for this work survives at the NACF. An invoice refers to a 'Landscape' bought on 2 September 1853 for £120. A work by Wright was given as part-exchange and valued at £40. The 1868 Leeds exhibition catalogue states that the painting was in the Cankrine [sic] collection, presumably the collection of John Christopher Cankrien, Consul for the Netherlands, at Hull. His collection was auctioned at Christies in London in June 1853. This painting is likely to be the work said to be painted by Jacques d'Arthois and Teniers and purchased by Rutley, the dealer from whom William Harvey purchased all his collection.
It has been suggested that the landscape may be the work of Lodewijk de Vadder (1605-1655) or Lucas Achellinck / Aschellinck. The Teniers expert, Margret Klinge in Dussledorf confirms that neither the landscape nor the figures are by Teniers. Both she and Margret Kinkelder at the RKD believe this work is worth further investigation in the future and that it may be possible to find out who the artist was.
This painting is part of a collection formed by William Harvey of Barnsley (1811-1867). Harvey was a Quaker, whose family made its money in the linen industry. Most of the paintings were acquired between 1849 and 1866 through the dealer Thomas R. Rutley and his son Colonel J. L. Rutley. The company later traded as Messrs Rutley. The collection consists mainly of Dutch and Flemish seventeenth-century paintings. On his death, the collection passed to Harvey's brother, Henry Harvey, J.P. (1814-1879). Nothing was added to the collection during this period and it was passed by descent to a nephew, William Harvey of Leeds. William Harvey of Leeds donated his collection to the National Loan Collection Trust in 1917. The purpose of the Trust was to lend pictures to regional galleries in England and the British Colonies. It was finally agreed to lend the collection on long term loan to Cannon Hall in Barnsley and in 2002 the collection was transferred to them on a permanent basis.
|Rights Owner||Cannon Hall Museum (Barnsley Metropolitan Council)|
|Author||Dr Madeleine Korn|