|Title||Classical Scene (Ruined Temple)|
|Alternative Title||Ruined Temple|
|Collection||Haworth Art Gallery, Accrington|
|Artist||School of Panini, Giovanni Paolo (Italian painter, ca. 1692-1765)|
|Date Earliest||possibly about 1720|
|Date Latest||possibly about 1800|
|Description||The painting depicts a fantastical landscape of classical ruins. This is not a topographical view, but rather an amalgamation of antique ruins; in the background is a large structure, a circus or ancient baths; immediately in front of this is an aqueduct and a rather incongruous pyramid. On the left is a section of colonnade in the Doric order - the ruined temple. In the right foreground are collapsed columns and a decorative urn. In this ruin several small figures appear clambering over blocks of stone, engaged in no particular activity.|
|Current Accession Number||HAG:181|
|Former Accession Number||HC500; 207|
|Measurements||76.0 x 64.2 cm cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on canvas|
|Acquisition Details||Given by Edwin Hitchon, Esq. 1946.|
|Publications||Haworth Art Gallery Catalogue, 1946, cat. no. 207.|
On back: marker pen, on label: '31'; marker pen: 'Haworth Art Gallery / Accrington / Acc. No. 181.'; marker pen: '52'; chalk: 'HC / 500'
The collection which Edwin Hitchon presented to the gallery in 1946 was amassed by his father, Alfred. Alfred was a blacksmith who came to the town in 1880. He joined the firm of Howard & Bullough, eventually rising to Chairman and Managing Director. He was inventor of the Hitchon gear, which led to the building of the Charter Street works, and designed numerous improvements in textile machinery. He moved to Exmouth in 1917. However, he remained a generous benefactor to Accrington, donating £40,000 to the Victoria Hospital in 1943. He would be offered, and decline, the Freedom of Accrington before he died.
|Rights Owner||© Haworth Art Gallery|