|Collection||Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery|
|Artist||Attributed to Cort, Hendrik Frans de (Flemish painter, 1742-1810)|
|Date Earliest||about 1790|
|Date Latest||about 1790|
The painting is a view of Wollaton Hall from the north east, showing the east front with staircase entrance. Some figures can be seen strolling around the building. There is a man carrying a spade and another man with a child in a grove of tall trees at left foreground.
Nottingham has another painting of Wollaton Hall by Hendrick de Cort (NCM 1957-10), in which the hall is seen on a hill in the distance. It is thought that both paintings, which are almost identical in size, were probably commissioned at the same time as a pair.
|Current Accession Number||1967-126|
|Subject||landscape; place (Wollaton Hall, Nottingham); buildings and gardens; figure|
|Measurements||115.5 x 58.1 cm cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on panel|
|Acquisition Details||Purchased from Bonfiglioli Limited, Nottingham, with the aid the V&A Purchase grant Fund, 1967.|
|Provenance||Collection of Godfrey Ernest Lord Middleton, 10th Baron (1847-1924); sold at Christie's, [London], 15 May 1925, lot 142, bought by Abbott for two guineas; sold through dealer Bonfiglioli Limited, Fine Paintings, 8 Byard Lane, Nottingham.|
|Publications||'Chance Brings a Wollaton Pair of Pictures Together', Nottingham Evening Post, 3 July 1967 (illustrated).|
Inscriptions on the back (from Brendan Cassidy's notes in the Artist File: 1. stencil: 678 (5?) DZ; 2. in chalk: 'May 15 -25'; 3. label: 'Bonfiglioli Ltd Nottingham dealers'.
Between 1984 and 1985, a research assistant, Dr Brendan Cassidy, was employed by Nottingham Castle Museum to research and write a catalogue of the foreign oil paintings in their collection. The catalogue never materialised, but drafts and notes relating to Cassidy's research can be found in the Artist Files and in the archive at the museum. All references to Cassidy relate to these documents.
The dating of this painting as 'about 1790' was suggested by the dealer Bonfiglioli in 1966 (letter dated 24 November 1966, from Bonfiglioli to Eric Laws, in Donor File). It is likely that the picture was painted for the Willoughby family who were the original owners of Wollaton Hall. Hendrik de Cort's views of country houses were exhibited at the Royal Academy and British Institution between 1790 and 1806. However, it seems that this painting was not among those works exhibited.
|Rights Owner||© Nottingham City Museums and Galleries: Nottingham Castle|
|Author||Dr Rebecca Virag|