|Title||Village Scene with Peasants|
|Alternative Title||Village Scene with Four Peasants; Scene de Village avec Quatre Paysans|
|Collection||Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery|
|Artist||Teniers, David, II (Flemish painter, 1610-1690)|
|Date Earliest||probably 1660|
|Date Latest||probably 1670|
This small panel depicting a village scene with a group of peasants was painted by the prolific Flemish artist David Teniers the younger. An elderly man, with a knife at his belt, holds a stick. Behind him, three others are shown standing by a house, talking. The painting probably belongs to the Netherlandish tradition of allegorical scenes and may originally have been one of a pair.
This work is from the considerable collection of paintings and other works of art that were bequeathed to the Nottingham Castle Museum in 1904 by Richard Godson Millns.
|Current Accession Number||NCM 1904-111|
|Inscription||front lr 'TD' [monogram]|
|Subject||figure; everyday life; buildings and gardens; allegory|
|Measurements||17.6 x 12 cm.0 cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on panel|
|Acquisition Details||Bequeathed by Richard Godson Millns 1904.|
|Principal Exhibitions||Richard Parkes Bonington: Young and Romantic, Nottingham Castle Museum, 2002 - 2003, cat. no. 141.|
|Publications||Bénézit, E., Dictionnaire Critique et Documentaire des Peintres, Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs et Graveurs de tous les temps et de tous les Pays, Paris, 1976, vol. 10, p.113, as Scène de Village avec Quatre Paysans; Wright, C., Old Master Paintings in Britain: An Index of Continental Old Master Paintings Executed before c.1800 in Public Collections in the United Kingdom, London, 1976, pp. 199, 255; Cambridge, M., Richard Parkes Bonington: Young and Romantic, Nottingham, 2002, p. 79, ill.|
A comparable picture by Teniers, one of a pair, was with the dealer E. Hasberg of Munich in 1972.
Millns considered leaving his large collection of art to the National Gallery in London or Burlington House, but finally he settled on Nottingham. His gift was recorded in some detail in the Nottingham Daily Guardian, 28 June 1904.
|Rights Owner||© Nottingham City Museums and Galleries: Nottingham Castle|
|Author||Dr Angela Smith|