|Collection||Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery|
|Artist|| French School
Attributed to circle of Bloemen, Jan Frans van (Flemish painter, 1662-1749, active in France and Italy)
Previously attributed to Dughet, Gaspard (French landscape painter, 1615-1675, active in Italy)
|Date Earliest||possibly about 1685|
|Date Latest||possibly about 1715|
|Description||As the previous attribution suggests, various elements in this painting are reminiscent of the works of Gaspard Dughet. The detail in the trees, for example, and the general composition of the landscape are characteristic of his style. The draughtsmanship is not of the same quality, however; and the image has a rigidity not usually present in Dughet's paintings. Close examination has revealed that the signature was painted on top of the craquelure of the original varnish, confirming it is false. It has been suggested that the work has closer affinities with the paintings of Jan Frans van Bloemen.|
|Current Accession Number||Plymg:ZO/LO.56|
|Inscription||front lr 'Dughet / 1670' [false]|
|Measurements||97.2 x 135.7 cm cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on canvas|
|Acquisition Details||Given by Miss Bishop.|
Back of stretcher: Large old rectangular label, handwritten in black ink:
This picture is ascribed to Gaspar Dughet, commonly known as 'Gaspar Poussin' it is signed 'Dughet d1670' - Its genuiness is doubtful - He was born at Rome in 1613. Was a pupil of Nicholas Poussin who married his sister. Travelled for many years - died at Rome 1675 - There are six pictures by him in the National Gallery, London, and about seventy in other English private galleries.
Back of frame: rectangular label with blue four-line octagonal border (c.1940) handwritten in blue ink, 'Property of Miss Bishop of Grimstone House Plymouth / Brought here for storage 1940'; label, handwritten in pencil, 'Miss Bishop / Storage / 28.8.41'.
Significant research was carried out by Melanie Blake and Maureen Attrill with the help of a Pilgrim Trust Grant.
Miss Bishop, Grimstone House, Plymouth.
|Rights Owner||Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery|
|Author||Dr Anne L. Cowe|