<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 

Core Record

Title Statue of Judge Gwilym Williams
Collection Public Monuments and Sculpture Association
Sculptor Goscombe John, William
Foundry Burton, Thames Ditton, A.B.
Date Completion 1910
Date Design 1906-1910
Description Standing male figure in court dress. Weight on right leg, left leg extended forward. Right forearm extended and right hand open, left hand holding raised border of gown.
Additional Information Gwilym Williams (1839-1906) was born at Aberdare. He was educated at Cowbridge Grammar School; the Normal College, Swansea and in France. He became a barrister of the Inner Temple in 1863 and in the same year, on the death of his father, a wealthy landowner as the proprietor of the Miskin estate with valuable mineral properties. He was appointed as stipendiary magistrate for Pontypridd and the Rhondda in 1872. It was said of him at this time that he was 'a terror to malefactors.' He continued in office until 1884 when he was appointed a judge of the county courts, mid-Wales circuit, and in 1885 was promoted to judge of the county courts of Glamorgan, a post which he held until his death in 1906. He lived at Miskin Manor, Pontyclun, Llantrisant.
Id Number Current Accession CARDIFF016
Id Number Current Repository AHCARDIFF01616
Inscription Inscription on ornate bronze relief panel on front of pedestal: GWILYM WILLIAMS / 1839 OF MISKIN 1906 / GWLAD GARWR / CHAIRMAN & VICE CHAIRMAN / OF QUARTER SESSIONS FOR THE COUNTY / OF GLAMORGAN FOR 19 YEARS / JUDGE OF THE COUNTY COURTS FOR 22 YEARS
Location Cardiff, Cardiff
Measurements Dimensions Statue(198cm high approx), Pedestal(214cm high approx)
Material Bronze, Granite
Rights Owner Public Monuments and Sculpture Association
Source AH
Work Type Statue
 

 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        Cookies        © 2013