|Title||St. Jerome and Girolamo Petrobelli|
|Alternative Title||A Donor and a Cardinal|
|Collection||Victoria and Albert Museum|
|Artist|| Attributed to Moody, Francis Wollaston (British painter and art critic, 1824-1886)
After Veronese, Paolo (Italian painter and draftsman, 1528-1588)
|Date Earliest||about 1850|
This work depicts Saint Jerome dressed as a Cardinal and accompanied by his traditional symbol of a lion. He holds a church, which refers to his role as one of the four Fathers of the Church. Beside him is the donor of the original altarpiece, Girolamo Petrobelli (d.1587). It is a copy on millboard of a fragment of an altarpiece now in Dulwich Picture Gallery (DPG270) painted c. 1563 by Paolo Veronese for Antonio and Girolamo Petrobelli for their chapel in the church of San Francesco at Lendinara. The altarpiece was cut up in 1788 and the Dulwich fragment originally formed the lower right of the altarpiece.
The copy was probably painted by F. W. Moody, who designed many of the decorative schemes in the South Kensington Museum (now the V&A), after the fragment at Dulwich Picture Gallery was acquired in 1811. Moody and his colleagues advocated the Neo-Renaissance style for the decoration of secular buildings and objects.
|Current Accession Number||187-1885|
|Subject||figure; religion (Saint Jerome); portrait (Girolamo Petrobelli)|
|Measurements||49.5 x 33.7 cm|
|Material||oil on millboard|
|Acquisition Details||Purchased 1885.|
|Publications||Kauffmann, C.M., Catalogue of Foreign Paintings, I. Before 1800, London, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1973, p. 152, cat. no. 182.|
Purchased for £3 in 1885 for the Circulation Department, suggesting it was acquired as an exemplary student work painted after the original and formerly described as Italian School, A Donor and a Cardinal (Kauffmann, 1973), this painting has now been identified as a copy of a fragment of an altarpiece painted on canvas by Paolo Veronese ca. 1563. Although the Dulwich fragment was lent to the Royal Academy several times in the nineteenth century and artists were allowed to copy the pictures at Dulwich, this is the only known copy of the fragment. and part of the drapery of a figure of Saint Michael trampling the Devil are visible at the left edge. These elements were painted out when the altarpiece was cut down and were only rediscovered after cleaning in 1953. The altarpiece was painted for Antonio and Girolamo Petrobelli for their chapel in the church of San Francesco at Lendinara near Rovigo. See Salomon, X. F., (ed.), Paolo Veronese : the Petrobelli Altarpiece, exh. cat. Dulwich Picture Gallery, London, etc., c. 2009.
|Rights Owner||© Victoria and Albert Museum, London|