|Title||terracotta frog lamp|
|Collection||Artworld: Oriental Museum|
|Artist||Father Timothy, Archbishop|
|Date||5th century CE|
|Description||Decorated oval lamp made of terracotta. On the upper side of the lamp is a frog facing to the front, with tail curled behind him. There is a rimless hole is the middle of the frog's back and a rimmed hole at the front of the lamp. There are eight circles in front and four circles to each side of the frog. Surrounding the frog is a floral border and a raised inscription in Greek. The underside is smooth and has a flat base.
There are black markings from the front, rimmed spout.
|Description Source||Birch, S. 1880. Catalogue of the Collection of Egyptian Antiquities at Alnwick Castle, London: R. Clay, Sons, and Taylor, p. 338|
|Id Number Former Accession||N2011|
|Inscription||Greek, Greek, raised relief on top|
|Location Creation Site||Misr, Lower Egypt, Governorate of Alexandria, Alexandria|
|Location Current Repository||The Oriental Museum|
|Subject||implements and utensils, lighting equipment and implements, lamp, inscription, animal, furniture|
|Measurements||9.1 x 5.5 x 12.2 cm|
|Context||The frog is associated with the goddess Heqet and symbolises fertility.|
|Rights||Oriental Museum, University of Durham, Durham, 2002. All Rights reserved|