Core Record   |   Search Results  |  New Search
Bookmark and Share

 

Full Record

Title A Calm on the Kel near Dordrecht
Alternative Title A Calm on the Kel in the Environs of Dordrecht
Original Translation Le Coup de Canon: Calme sur le Kel, environs à Dordrecht
Collection New Walk Museum and Art Gallery, Leicester
Artist Clays, Paul Jean (Belgian painter, 1819-1900)
Date 1870 (dated)
Signed yes
Description

This painting depicts a scene on the River Kel near Dordrecht in Holland. Some of the boats which regularly plied the waters are shown, including sailing wherries in the foreground and a passenger paddle steamer in the distance.

Paul Jean Clays was a Belgian artist who studied in Paris and later settled in Brussels where he became an official naval artist. Seascapes and river scenes form the bulk of Clays's oeuvre. This painting was produced in the middle years of his career. The inscription on the back in the artist's own hand records that it was painted in Brussels.

Current Accession Number L.F3.1891.0.0
Former Accession Number 3 A 1891
Inscription front lr 'P J Clays 1870'; back (on label) 'Je soussigne declare avoir peint le tableau ci-centre - il represente un calme dans le Kel, aux environs de Dordrecht (Hollande). Bruxelles 1870. P. J.Clays'
Subject marine; trade and industry; place (River Kel, near Dordrecht)
Measurements 76.0 x 110 cm.0 cm (estimate)
Material oil on canvas
Acquisition Details Purchased at Christie's 1891, £152 5s.
Publications Permanent Art Gallery Catalogue, Leicester, 1899, cat. no. 77, as A Calm on the Kel in the Environs of Dordrecht; Leicester Museum and Art Gallery: Collection of Paintings, Leicester, 1958, cat. no. 196; Bénézit, E., Dictionnaire Critique et Documentaire des Peintres, Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs et Graveurs de tous les temps et de tous les Pays, Paris, 1976, vol. 3, p. 58, as Le Coup de Canon - Calme sur le Kel, environs à Dordrecht.
Notes

This was one of the first Continental works to enter the New Walk collection.

The painting is mentioned in Conversazioni on the Occasion of the Opening of the Museum and Art Gallery Extension Buildings, 19 and 20 May, 1892, p. 42.

Rights Owner Leicester City Museums Service
Author Dr Angela Smith

 

 

 

Core Record

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        Cookies        © 2013