Core Record   |   Search Results  |  New Search
Bookmark and Share

 

Full Record

Title Blessed Gerard of Villamagna and Saint Mary Magdalen with Saint Catherine of Alexandria
Collection Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery
Artist Spinello Aretino (Italian painter, born 1350-1352, died 1410)
Previously attributed to school of Giotto (Italian painter and architect, born 1266 or 1267, died 1337)
Date Earliest possibly 1380
Date Latest probably 1390
Description This is one of two panels at Nottingham attributed to the Italian trecento artist Spinello Aretino. The panels, each depicting three full-length saints, are the wings of a triptych. The central panel probably depicted a Madonna and Child. The identities of the saints are given in an inscription at the base of the frame, although this is believed to postdate the painting. The two female saints are the popular Mary Magdalene and Catherine of Alexandria. The third saint is the Franciscan Gerard of Villamagna, who lived at the turn of the twelfth century and was a patron saint of the sick.
Current Accession Number NCM 1891-133
Former Accession Number NCM 91-133-4
Inscription front lr (on the Magdalene's underdress) 'IHS'
Subject figure
Measurements 123.8 x 71.1 cm cm (estimate)
Material tempera on panel
Acquisition Details Bequeathed by Dowager Viscountess Galway 1891, as by school of Giotto.
Publications Boskovits, M., La Pittura Fiorentina alla Vigilia del Rinascimento, Florence, 1975, p. 439, figs. 507-8; Wright, C., Old Master Paintings in Britain: An Index of Continental Old Master Paintings Executed before c.1800 in Public Collections in the United Kingdom, London, 1976, p. 255.
Notes

Related work, inv. no.: NCM 1891-134.

Boskovits made the attribution to Aretino. This attribution is generally agreed, although Brendan Cassidy thought the panels were the work of Giovanni del Biondo. Cassidy suggested that the triptych may have been made for a Franciscan church and that the presence of Saint Gerard pointed to a Tuscan provenance.

According to the donor of the panels, they were purchased 'somewhere abroad' in the mid-nineteenth century.

Rights Owner Nottingham City Museums and Galleries: Nottingham Castle
Author Dr Angela Smith

 

 

 

Core Record

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        Cookies        © 2013